Hi beauties! It’s Carina from CarinaConnelly.com, and today I’m here to share three super chic new ways to style your hair with a hair donut (or sock!). These styles are extremely easy, extra stylish and perfect go-to hairdos for the upcoming holiday season. If you’re looking for a few new ways to style your hair with lots of volume, try one of these gorgeous styles!
#1 The Braided Sock Bun
Here’s a fresh twist on the ever-popular sock bun! Try adding a braid to wrap around the bun to really spice things up.
How to style:
- Start with hair in a high ponytail, centered on the top of your head.
- Slip sock or hair donut over ponytail.
- Fan out ponytail so there is hair overlapping donut all the way around.
- Slip another elastic around hair donut and original ponytail.
- Fluff bun to desired fullness.
- With the ends, begin a simple three-strand braid that wraps around bun.
- Secure braid.
- Finish style with a spritz of hairspray.
Try this style on hair that’s a few days old. Or, if your hair is extra slippery, try roughing up your locks with a texturizing spray.
#2 A Simply Twisted Bun With Volume
Fall in love with this voluminous style that can be easily dressed up or down.
How to style:
- If starting with clean hair, prep hair with a texturizing spray.
- Separate hair in crown.
- Place hair donut in crown and pull a small section of hair over it. Secure donut with bobby pins on either side.
- Create part and backcomb the entire crown area.
- Pull backcombed section into a half up style.
- Twist this section one time and secure with bobby pins.
- Take bottom section and twist it up towards top section and free form it into a bun.
- Secure bun with bobby pins.
- Arrange bangs as desired.
- Set style with hairspray.
If you have super straight hair, try setting it with hot rollers or a curling iron before styling.
#3 Wonderfully Windblown
Here is a gorgeous modern take on a vintage style! Styling your hair away from your face (and with a bit of volume in the front and top) helps open up your face and draw attention to your beautiful eyes.
How to style:
- Section off your bangs.
- Place hair donut a few inches back from hairline.
- Pull a small section of hair over donut and secure with bobby pins.
- Backcomb the top and sides.
- Smooth the backcombing and pull hair into a ponytail at the occipital bone (the bone that sticks out in the back of your head).
- Grab ends of ponytail and wrap them under. Roll ends up to hair elastic and secure with bobby pins.
- Gently fan out looped ends and secure sides to ponytail.
- Finish style with a good spritz of hairspray.
If your ends poke out of loop, don’t fret! Simply spritz them with hairspray and smooth into place.
Watch The Video:
If you’re looking for extra volume, don’t be afraid to play around with a hair donut to help achieve extra voluminous styles. There are so many fun styles to try using the donut in unconventional ways. Just use your imagination, a bit hairspray, and have fun with it! Be sure to visit me at CarinaConnelly.com for even more hair tutorials, reviews and beauty chitchat!