New York Fashion Week’s 2012 Fall Collections were packed with fabulous hair and beauty trends. And although we saw plenty of beautiful braided looks we loved, it was nice to see celeb hair stylist, Cesar Ramirez, show a new variation on the twisted, messy updo for the Katie Gallagher collection.
Gallagher’s Fall/Winter 2012 collection was all about looking primal, a feel that Ramirez sought to capture and reinterpreted in this hair look. Here’s how you can create this funky, twisted updo yourself. The best part is since the ingredients are “messy chic” it’s a virtually fool-proof look for you to pull together. And forget about waiting until fall, this is a hair trend you can embrace now!
1. Use the texturizer of your choice and spritz on damp hair. Blow dry hair straight with a round brush and part a horseshoe section of hair at the top of your head. Don’t worry about trying to get this perfect; the look is very soft, undone and natural.
2. Brush and pull your hair back making a vertical twisted bun all the way down the back of your head. Secure the twisted vertical bun in place with some bobby pins.
3. Take a fine-toothed comb and tease the hair that was parted into the horseshoe section. Spritz with hair spray.
4. Next, you’ll want to deal with the front of your hairline. Feel free to inject some creativity into this part of the look. Create about four sub-sections of hair and bend or twist the piece, then pin it down. Repeat until all four sections are bent and pinned down.
5. Play with your tresses to create the “perfectly undone” look. When you’ve achieved a look you feel confident about, spray with your favorite finishing spray. Pull at loose ends for messy flyaways.