From yesterday’s style to today’s hipsters, Mad Men has got the retro chic look from hair to toe. Unless you’re living on another planet, AMC’s Mad Men is one of the most talked about shows on television. Even today’s fashions have rewound to capture that sleek, clean, vintage-inspired style. What do we love most? The hair of course!
Pete Campbell is one of the partners working in account management at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce Advertising Agency. His look is much younger and youthful than the rest of the male cast. From his prep school look with tailored blue suits (which largely vanish throughout the series), he blossoms into a younger Don Draper style. His hair is slightly different, sporting a much more sleek, wet look than the rest of the characters. Here’s how to get Pete’s signature hairstyle…
1. Tell your barber or stylist to keep your hair tapered on the sides and nape, but longer on top.
2. Keep the hair damp when styling. Using your product of choice, comb through the hair with a fine tooth comb. Comb back your sides and set your part on the right side.
3. Create a slight wave in front, but not has high as the Don Draper wave.
I would suggest using American Crew Pomade to create this classic, slicked back look with extra control. You could also work Oribe Rock Hard Gel through wet hair for intense hold. Just be aware that it sets quickly and stays hard.
Peggy Olson is a Brooklyn girl who was hip before her time. She is the modern day career driven girl! Peggy began as Don Draper’s secretary, then became the first woman copywriter at the firm since World War II. Peggy’s hair has evolved over the seasons along with her career. From a perky ponytail, to the modern flip (teased of course) and now to the sophisticated bouffant.
1. To muse this perfect bouffant flip, begin with a volumzing spray gel or blow and set sculpting lotion. Apply the product to damp hair and work it in at the root area.
2. Use a round brush to create volume at the roots as you blow dry, then set the hair with either a curling iron or hot rollers.
3. Let the curls cool, then using your teasing comb, begin at the nape and work your way up to create the volume and base for your bouffant.
4. Using a Mason Pearson brush, smooth and mold hair into a flip, then of course finish with hairspray and lots of it!
Try Unite Boosta Spray Volumizing for texture without feeling sticky or Unite Blow & Set Sculpting Lotion for perfect hair setting. Seal the style with Unite Max Control Spray for strong hold you can still brush through.
So don’t be a square, get out there and get your vintage on! Learn how to recreate Don and Megan Draper’s iconic hairstyles.