Hello! This is Roxie from How-To Hair Girl coming at you with a cozy bun to warm up your winter hair game. The knotted fishtail chignon is a lovely hairstyle for all you long-haired ladies out there to pair with a cozy sweater and make a bold statement on the back of your head.
The best part is that you can take this unique updo from a cozy daytime style to haute evening look for all of those upcoming holiday parties!
This hairstyle consists of fishtail braids, knots, and a subtle twist and pin. All you need to get started are some clear hair ties, a few large hair pins, and a good texturizing braid spray.
To begin with, flip your head upside down and spray the hair down with your texture spray to add some grip to your strands.
1. Part the hair down the back and create two side-by-side fishtail braids. Follow this tutorial to get the technique down if needed. Secure the ends with clear elastics.
2. Starting at the ends and working your way up, gently pull the braids apart a bit. This will add texture and fatten them up a bit.
3. Now take your braids and tie them together once, and then again. If your braids are long enough, tie them a third time. Don’t tie them too tight however, as you will want to leave the ends free.
4. Now take the whole knot in one hand and gently roll it into your head, tucking the ends inward towards your your scalp so that they are hidden.
5. Now take a large hair pin and pin the bun into the head, beginning at the top. Make sure to get the teeth of the pin through a braid and into the base of the hair under the bun.
6. Use another large pin to pin the bun into the head from either side, securing the braided knot into the head. Add as many pins as you need to until your fishtail chignon feels secure.
Now it’s time to get cozy with a hot toddy in front of the fireplace knowing that your hair looks fabulous! If you enjoyed this knotted fishtail chignon tutorial, you might want to try these looks out too: