Sometimes, you just have to change things up a bit with your hair. What better way to shake things up than with some great waves?
Haven’t conquered the curling iron yet? Don’t fret. Our experts will have you rocking celebrity-quality waves in no time!
From Straight to Wavy
“Prepping hair to hold the curl is very important,” says Gayle Giacomo, start of The Style Network’s Jerseylicious and owner of the renowned Gatsby Salon. “If your hair doesn’t hold a curl well, don’t skip this step! If you have straight-ish hair, turn your head upside down and spray freshly washed roots with GG Gatsby Over-the-Top Root Lift Spray (17.99 at Target.com), distributing the product evenly 1-2 inches in length from root. This will give your hair added volume and lift, which are both necessary for any curly or wavy hairstyle.”
Gayle recommends that after hair is completely blow dried, separate hair into three sections and curl hair one section at a time using a clampless curling iron that is at least 1 inch in diameter. “Start by spritzing a section of hair with hairspray, then take a 1-inch portion of hair and wrap it around the barrel of the curling iron,” says Gayle. “Release the curl after about 10-15 seconds. Make sure to alternate the direction of the curl as you work your way through each section. Alternating directions makes curls look more natural.”
Lorean Cairns, lead stylist and co-owner of Fox & Jane Salon, says a great look this season is Bohemian Curls! Want to rock them? Here’s how:
1. Wash and condition your hair per the norm, towel dry and comb it out.
2. Section hair into a center part for bohemian curls, or a side part for a sexy yet sophisticated style.
3. If you have straight-ish hair, massage in or spray freshly washed roots with a volumizing or texturizing spray such as Big Wig by AG. If your hair is naturally coarse or curly, work a straightening balm through your hair to tone down the curls.
4. Blow dry hair using your fingers, starting at the roots to get extra volume. Hair must be completely dry for this look to work. You may opt to use a heat protection spray to keep from drying out your locks.
5. Separate hair into three sections, starting at the nape of the neck. Secure the rest of your hair with a ponytail holder.
6. To curl hair, use at least a 1.5 inch wide-barrel curling iron. The smaller the barrel, the tighter the curl. When going for beachy hair, use a wider barrel to keep it looking natural and effortless.
7. Spritz a section of hair with texturizing spray, then take a 1-inch portion of hair and wrap it around the barrel of the curling iron. Wrapping allows you to curl all the way to the root. When you’re curling, make sure to leave ends loose to avoid a crimp mark. Release the curl after about 10-15 seconds (hold longer if you want a tighter curl). You should end up with a corkscrew curl. To keep it modern curl hair away from the face. (Coiling hair towards the face will take you from Blake Lively back to your 12th birthday party.)
8. Remove the nozzle from your blow dryer and gently loosen your waves with cool air. You can also separate curls with your fingers, just make sure not to brush them out.
9. To add shine, spritz a shine serum. You can forgo hair serum and spritz with salt water spray. Cairns likes Ocean by Alfaparf or Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray.
10. Set with a soft hold hairspray. Be careful not to overdo the spray! You don’t want new waves to feel crunchy or get weighed down.
Now that you got your waves, go and MAKE some waves! (Of the party kind, obviously.)
Looking for more wavy hair inspiration? Start making waves here…