Casual hairstyles are quick, easy, and laid-back hairstyles for women who don’t want to hassle with their hair every day. Let’s face it, we don’t always have time to create the perfect hairdo. That’s where these easy hairstyles come in. For a hairstyle to be considered casual, it should be easy to do on a day-to-day basis. Most of the time a casual style means a messy bun or a classic ponytail. Instead of sticking with the usual, why not perk up your normal routine? Get ready to get your inspiration on!
Before your next hair appointment, check out these popular pictures of casual hairstyles.
#1: Curls Galore
Put your flat iron down for the day and show off your swoon-worthy, natural curls! Try Aveda’s Be Curly Curl Crème for frizz-free curls with definition. This curly style will work for all face shapes and women with naturally curly hair.
How to Style natural curls:
- Apply a cocktail of curl crème and gel to dripping wet hair.
- Twist hair in different directions and diffuse on low.
- Once hair is fully dry, gently fluff with fingers.
- Finish style with a light mist of shine-enhancing hairspray.
#2: Fresh Summer Cut
This fresh summer cut will refresh your look and is perfect for long blonde hair. This casual and fresh cut is all about loose layers, and subtle texture, and will provide style and volume. It’s easy to maintain and perfect for any occasion. It’s the best choice for women who crave a low-maintenance yet chic look.
#3: Shaggy Dimensional Balayage
This shaggy dimensional balayage is great for everyday wear. It’s very low-maintenance because you won’t be in the salon every six to eight weeks for a full head of highlights. That being said, I always suggest a treatment and toner between balayage sessions to maintain the color and health of the hair. To style, use a volumizing spray on wet hair, blow-dry with a large round brush, and finish it off with a 1 1/4-inch curling iron and a texturing spray.
#4: Casual Choppy Bob Style
Add a little texture to a classic bob to create a sassy new look. Aveda’s Control paste provides texture, definition, and shine without feeling heavy.
How to Style a choppy bob:
- Apply your favorite styling product to damp hair.
- Blow-dry hair in medium-sized sections, moving hair from side to side to create volume and bend.
- Blow-dry fringe using a small round brush.
- Smooth any unruly pieces with a flat iron.
- Apply a shine-enhancing styling paste.
- Finish style with a light-hold hairspray.
#5: Loose Waves on Short Hair
Add some zest to a classic bob by creating carefree wavy hairstyles like this one. Loose waves on a short haircut are perfect to be a part of your everyday hairstyles. For perfect beach waves, try Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Spray. This style will work best on oval, triangle, oblong, and heart face shapes. It will also work best for those with naturally wavy hair.
How to Style loose waves:
- Prep damp hair with a sea salt spray and volume mousse.
- Scrunch and blow dry hair.
- Once hair is dry, use a 1¼-inch curling iron and wrap hair around the curling iron horizontally. Leave the ends out.
- Finish style with a light mist of flexible hold hairspray.
#6: Messy High Bun
A messy high bun has become the busy woman’s go-to hairstyle. I suggest using an antic-breakage hair tie to alleviate unwanted hair damage. My favorites have been the Kitsch Eco-Friendly nylon elastics. To achieve this, make sure to add your favorite dry shampoo for some added texture. Gather all your hair in one pony, twist into a bun and slowly piece it out for that effortless look.
#7: Full Fringe on a Casual Hairstyle
Draw attention to your eyes and cheekbones with face-framing bangs. Try Aveda’s Dry Remedy Daily Moisturizing Oil to help tame flyaway hair and add moisture to dry locks.
How to Style hair with a full fringe:
- Apply mousse to towel-dried hair.
- Blow-dry bangs from side to side using a small paddle brush.
- Blow-dry the rest of hair using a medium-sized round brush.
- Use a 1-inch curling iron to curl just the ends.
- Smooth any frizz with a small amount of Argan oil.
- Finish with a light-hold hairspray.
#8: Layered Deep Side Part Casual Hairstyle
Adding just a little bit of volume to a typical down easy hairstyle gives it a more polished feeling without being overdone. Try Oribe’s Dry Texturizing Spray for fullness and textures.
How to Style a casual haircut:
- Prep damp hair with your favorite styling mousse.
- Blow-dry hair using fingers, lifting at the roots to create volume.
- Once hair is nearly dry, use a round brush to finish drying bangs.
- Using a flat iron, lightly smooth ends and add a slight bend to ends.
- Spritz roots with a volumizing dry shampoo or texturizing spray.
- Finish style with a flexible hold hairspray.
#9: Casual and Carefree Shag
This style is perfect for a post-workout meeting or if you are running a bit late in the morning.
How to Style a shag:
- Starting with damp hair, apply your favorite volume mousse from roots to tips.
- Blast hair dry using fingers. Blow-dry fringe forward.
- Apply a small amount of styling paste to ends.
- Finish style with your favorite hairspray.
Try Aveda’s Phomollient to create volume and shine without feeling heavy or sticky. Keep in mind that this look is meant to be a little unkempt. Don’t be afraid to get your fingers in your hair and really give it a ruffle!
#10: Simple Half Updo Hair
Looking for a way to keep your hair pulled back, while still looking fab? Try this half up style for the best of both worlds.
How to Style a half updo:
- Starting with dry hair, set hair in hot rollers.
- Remove rollers and lightly finger comb through curls.
- Pull top section back and secure.
- Finish style with a light mist of hairspray. Adding a bow is optional to give it a little accent.
When styling this casual updo, try Aveda’s Brilliant Hairspray for a medium hold with tons of shine. Cute casual hairstyles like this will work for all face shapes and hair types.
#11: Easy Romantic Look with Side Braids
This has side braids with a soft, wavy texture through the mid-lengths. My favorite thing about it is that you can dress it up or dress it down. Transform this casual, brunch-date hair into casual updos for a formal event just with a few pearl pins.
For clients, it’s important to keep in mind the density of your hair. The higher the density, the bigger and fuller the side braid will look. For women with lower density, it can be challenging to create a large braid. As far as length goes, this is a shoulder-length cut but it works for all lengths whether it’s a stacked bob or long luscious locks.
#12: Short and Sweet Effortless Style
Create an effortless and chic look with this short and pretty hairstyle. For this bob hairstyle, try Aveda’s Control Paste to create texture and definition without feeling heavy.
How to Style an effortless bob:
- Apply mousse to towel-dried hair.
- Blow dry hair using fingers. Lift at the root to create volume.
- Apply a small amount of styling paste to ends and bangs.
- Finish style with a light mist of hairspray.
#13: Casual Boho Ponytail in Wrap-Around Hairstyle
A simple, beachy ponytail makes an easy updo that works best if you have long hair. Longer hair can be used to wrap your hair around and hold it together. Casual updos for long hair like this messy low ponytail look effortless when styled with a lot of texture and curls.
#14: Messy Blonde Low Bun
Try a messy blonde low bun when you want to have your updo more on the casual side. One of the easiest ways to soften this look is by leaving out face-framing strands of hair in the front and on your hairline. Don’t forget to leave a few strands of hair out in the bun as well. Remember to give your look a good spray of finishing hairspray so that your look last throughout the night.
#15: Cool Twisted Bun Hairstyle for a Casual Day
This twisted bun hairstyle is simple and casual, but still classy with a slightly undone feel. The best thing about casual updo hairstyles like this one is the slightly frayed, unpolished edges with the separation in this twisted low bun.
Buns are best achieved with thicker, mid-length hair that has multi-dimensional color rather than a block color. A light-hold styling product was applied to shampooed hair that was dried with a paddle brush, ensuring not to create too much tension to the hair so volume isn’t lost assisting in the construction of this style.
#16: Super Sleek Hairstyle
Tired of curling your hair? Try a super sleek look for a little variety. Try Aveda’s Style Prep Smoother to get a super straight and frizz-free blow dry in half the time. This style will work for all face shapes and those with naturally straighter hair.
How to Style sleek hair:
- Apply a styling crème to towel dried hair.
- Blow-dry hair using a flat paddle brush.
- Flat iron hair straight
- Apply a small amount of Argan oil to ends.
- Finish style with a light mist of hairspray.
#17: Textured Blowout Style
Love the way a fresh blow dry feels, but do you crave a little more texture? Try a textured blowout to have the best of both worlds! For frizz-free blowouts, try Onesta’s Smooth and Shine. It can also be used once your hair is dry for a light-hold separation and texture.
How to Style a blowout hairstyle:
- Prep towel-dried hair with a blow-dry lotion.
- Blow dry hair with a medium-sized round brush, flipping ends away from face.
- Once hair is dry, use a 1-inch curling iron or flat iron to smooth ends. Use the hot tool vertically and work in medium to large sections.
- Apply a small amount of styling paste to the ends.
- Finish style with a light hold flexible hairspray.
#18: Pixie Cut with Side Bangs
Give your pixie haircut a playful edge with a full side bang and tons of definition.
How to Style a pixie with side bangs:
- Starting with towel-dried hair apply a volume mousse from roots to tips.
- Blow-dry hair using fingers. Lift hair in the crown and blow-dry fringe straight down.
- Apply a styling paste and style fringe as desired.
- Finish style with a strong-hold hairspray.
For a strong-hold hairspray, try Aveda’s Force Control. This style will work for all face shapes and hair types.
#19: Undone Textured Shag
For an easy-maintained cool-girl cut, try an undone textured shag. A textured shag is flattering on women of many different ages. Short or long, the textured layers bring movement to weighed-down hair. On bad hair days, it can easily be pulled back for a casual yet fashionable style.
#20: Messy Half Updo with Crown Braid
A messy half updo with a crown braid works with all hair lengths and textures. Simply take two sections on each side and marry them in the middle. Accessorize with floral berets for an eye-catching look.
#21: Soft Messy Bun Hairstyle
A soft messy bun hairstyle is a great casual hairstyle for women with medium to long hair. Spritz Haze by Evo for volume and texture and try adding waves to add fullness in the cute bun and leave out hair in the front to form face-framing pieces.
#22: Casual Twisted Braid Hairstyle
Try a casual twisted braid hairstyle that is effortless and beautiful and can be worn to a party, prom, or daily with any hair texture length. Add waves to create the illusion of fuller and thicker hair.
#23: Low Twisted Ponytail
A low twisted ponytail makes a pretty and glam style, perfect for all occasions. Stylist Melissa Howlett of Australia made it ideal on any hair color and texture, too!
To create this wedding hair, Howlett started by curling the locks using a medium barrel wand. She continues, “I added a super soft twist on one side of the head as a feature. I left pieces of face-framing strands around the face, and also added volume on the crown.”
#24: Quick and Casual Brigitte Bardot in Half-Down Style for School
“I’d consider this a toned-down Brigitte Bardot, 1960s-inspired hairstyle,” says training cosmetologist Jordyn Kunde of Plymouth, MN. “I like this medium-length hairstyle because it’s simple and not as intimidating as some vintage-looking styles can be,” says Kunde.
Kunde’s biggest pieces of advice are to pay attention to volume and the exact type of look you’re going for.
If you want something a little sleeker and to have a modern look, Kunde recommends you go with straight hair. “I think the curls make it a little more casual and beachy. More volume gives this half down a more vintage vibe. Easy casual hairstyles for medium-length hair are going to be cute no matter what you decide to do,” she explains.
#25: Faux One Length
This faux one-length look was created by hairstylist Harmony Janney Cochran of McLean, VA.
“My favorite thing about it is how it gives the appearance of a one-length cut, but has interior layering to collapse the heaviness underneath,” explains Cochran. “This helps avoid the buildup of weight around the base that would usually create a triangular shape.”
Cochran believes this cut works best for women with naturally straight or wavy hair. “While the woman in the photo has her hair curled, I designed the cut for an air-dry-friendly lifestyle,” she adds.
Use your favorite texture or salt spray (mine is Moroccanoil’s Beach Wave Mousse or Dry Texture Spray) to enhance some movement and let your natural tresses do the rest!
#26: Boho Casual Chic Style with a French Braid Headband
This french braid headband is boho, casual, and chic. It was created by master stylist Jillian Leigh of Smithtown, NY.
“This look is great for any occasion,” says Leigh. “You can dress it up with a hair decoration for a formal event or you can wear the style for a casual night out. It’s also a great look if you would like to keep your bangs or hair out of your face for the evening.”
To style, Leigh has strict instructions:
“Blow-dry hair using Fat Muk (volumizer). When it is completely dry, I like to section it and spray each section with Fat Muk before curling. When curling the hair, I recommend a 1 1/4-inch curling iron (I use a Hot Tools Marcel Iron. Let the curls cool for 10 minutes. After the hair is cooled, take a vent brush or your fingers and brush the hair. This will not take out your curls. It will allow a softer look.
If you have fine hair or it has trouble holding a curl, use a 1-inch curling iron and take bigger sections of hair. When you’re done combing the hair, use a dime-sized amount of Muk Forming Cream, rub thoroughly together in your hands, then apply to your curls starting from the ends. This will help put down flyaways. Now we’re ready to braid!
Whenever sectioning for a braided crown, make the part a zig-zag part to avoid forming any empty spaces between the braid and the rest of your hair. This will also assure a soft look. Make the section go slightly behind the ear to avoid any bulk around the ear. Now you’re ready to French braid. Once you complete your French braid, hold the end of the braid softly to allow you to fan out the braid.
To fan out the braid, start at the top and softly pull each piece with your thumb and index finger. The motion I use with my fingers is almost as if you have a new dollar bill and you have to rub your fingers together to make sure there isn’t another stuck to it. Once you’re satisfied with your fanned braid, secure it behind the ear with a rubber band. If it seems to be sticking out or pressing against your ear, secure the rubber band down with a bobby pin.”
#27: Effortless & Chic Braided Style with Accessory for Long Hair
This is an effortless and chic look and is one of the simple casual hairstyles for long hair. It was created by freelance hairstylist Christina Repanou of Montreal.
“What I love about it is that you can dress it up or down,” she explains. “Braids can be an everyday look as well as an evening look. Adding in accessories like this one gives it that extra chic pop.”
Repanou says the best way to achieve casual braided hairstyles such as this one is by using Design.Me Puff Me, the Ouai Rose Hair & Body Oil, and a hot tool iron for some soft curls.
“I believe braids can be worn on anyone, you just need to find the one that speaks to you the most. Remember that braids work best on dirty hair,” she adds.
#28: Cute and Spiced Up Top Knot Twist
“This is my absolute favorite go-to easy hairstyle to spice up any casual outfit,” claims stylist Janie Periot of Manette, WA. “This is a diy hairstyle with a messy knot that looks like a twisted bun. It really opens up the face by pulling half the hair up and keeping the body in the rest of the hair,” said Periot.
“I like this high bun hairstyle best with second-day hair for an added natural texture,” she adds. “This style can be worn with many looks, but my favorite casual hair to pair it with right now would be skinny jeans, boots, a big sweater, and a chunky statement necklace.”
By using some of her favorite products (L’oreal Professionnel Tecni Art Next Day Hairspray, Infinium 3 Hairspray, and Mythic Oil), Periot can create texture, hold and shine in the finished look.
#29: Modern Sleek Look
This modern sleek look was created by freelance hairstylist Lupe Benitez of Bronx, NY. “It’s one of the ideal business casual hairstyles and casual updos for medium hair,” says Benitez.
“The best thing about this wavy low updo is that it comes in handy,” she adds. “You can wear this look for a wedding on a really hot day without worrying about the frizz, or if you have an event after work, you can be ready to go with a simple change of clothes!”
Benitez advises her casual women to keep their hair texture and density in mind. “This works best on thick hair. If a really thin/fine-haired woman wants this look, it can be done, but it would not look the same. Also, keep in mind that there is a lot of face showing,” she explains.
#30: Effortlessly Put Together in a Messy Low Pony
“I love an undone, rumpled look,” says salon owner and stylist Kelly Rettenberger of Madison, WI. “Leaving texture and twisting sections gives a pulled-back style a bit of sex appeal. This messy ponytail is a great way to look effortlessly put together,” she explains.
Rettenberger says Paul Mitchell Invisiblewear is the perfect pairing to recreate this pony. “Designed for beautifully undone styles, the products give natural body and texture.”
This messy low pony is great for women who appreciate the beauty in imperfection and don’t want to look like they came fresh from the salon. It’s an upgrade from the basic pony, but still just as versatile.
#31: Versatile Textured Lob
This textured lob looks effortless and chic when wavy but can also look edgy and texturized when straight. It’s also long enough to throw into a pony when needed. It’s an ideal cut to wear on summer days or even for school.
I definitely recommend any sort of texturizing product to enhance the texture. I used Oribe Matte Waves before rough-drying the hair. After waving with a curling iron, a little dry texture spray can be used to enhance. Women with natural texture in their tresses would really benefit from this long bob because it can be really low maintenance. Because of its versatility, many women can rock this style.
#32: Casual Middle Part with Light Curls
Loose and relaxed curls are perfect for a casual get-together or running errands. But more than that, it can be an ideal bridal hair for a wedding day, too! And check out that center part hair! For a touchable hold, try Aveda’s Air Control. This style will work for all face shapes and hair textures.
#33: Casual Lived-In Bob with Highlights
This is the easiest and simplest way to get chic casual hairstyles like this bob. Add highlights to bring out dimension in your hair.
#34: Classic Blowout for Women with Round Face Shapes
A classic blowout is timeless and always stylish. Good styling tools are just as important as good styling products. Try the T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer and the Full Pint Medium Round Brush to help you achieve the perfect blow dry. This hairstyle looks best on a round face shape and all hair types.
How to Style a classic blowout:
- Starting with slightly damp hair, apply a small amount of blow dry lotion to mid-lengths and ends.
- Section hair into six sections (top front, sides, crown, back left, and back right).
- Using a medium-sized round brush and blow dryer, begin drying hair in the top front.
- Blow-dry hair smooth and away from the face.
- Blow-dry all sections of hair.
- After hair is dry, apply a small amount of Argan oil to the ends.
- Finish style with a flexible hold hairspray.
#35 California Girl Hairstyle
Show off your relaxed side with these perfectly undone curls!
How to Style undone curls:
- Apply a volume mousse to damp hair and spritz roots with a root boost.
- Blow dry hair using fingers.
- Once hair is dry, use a curling wand. Wrap hair around the wand vertically.
- Allow hair to cool and gently finger comb through curls.
- Spritz hair with a texturizing spray and lightly scrunch.
- Finish style with a light hold hairspray.
Try Onesta’s Volumizing foam for body and fullness with shine. This style will work for a girl with any face shape and hair type, too.
#36 Simple Fishtail Braids
The simplest way to create a stylish and casual hairstyle for long hair is to weave your strands into a trendy fishtail braid.
How to Style fishtail braids:
- Starting with dry hair, smooth hair into a side ponytail.
- Use a small section of hair to wrap around the ponytail holder and bobby pin into place.
- Divide ponytail into two sections.
- Take a small section from one side and pull it across to the other side.
- Repeat step 3 until all hair is braided.
- Secure with a clear elastic or a hair tie.
- Gently pull on the sides of the braid to the desired looseness.
- Finish style with your favorite hairspray.
Clear elastics are a must for fun and stylish braided styles! Try Goody’s Clear Elastics and take your braided style to the next level. This braided ponytail will work for all face shapes and hair types.
#37 Glamorous Date Night
Looking for a super simple way to jazz up your hair for date night? This is the perfect go-anywhere, casual yet gorgeous style!
How to Style date-night hair:
- Apply a thermal protectant to freshly blow-dried hair.
- Starting in the front, take a medium-sized section and wrap it around a curling iron vertically.
- Remove curling iron and repeat until all hair is curled.
- Lightly finger comb through hair and finish style with hairspray.
To protect your hair from heat damage, try Aveda’s Damage Ready Daily Repair.
#38 Casual Short Curls
Curls aren’t just for long locks! Add them to your short hair and instantly create body and movement.
How to Style shorter curls:
- Apply a thermal heat protectant to freshly blow-dried hair.
- Using a 1-inch curling iron, curl hair away from the face in small to medium-sized sections.
- Continue until all hair is curled.
- Spritz hair with a texturizing spray.
- Gently finger comb through curls.
- Finish style with a medium-hold hairspray.
Tip: Try Aveda’s Damage Control for thermal and UV protection.
#39 Fun and Flirty Naturally Curly Hair on Half-Up Style
Try this half up style and show off your covet-worthy curls. For frizz-free and super shiny curls, try Moroccan Oil’s Intense Curl Cream.
How to Style a half-up hairstyle:
- Apply a cocktail of curl crème and gel to dripping wet curls.
- Scrunch out excess moisture with a microfiber cloth.
- Diffuse hair on low.
- Once hair is fully dry, pull back the top section and secure with bobby pins.
- Fluff underneath as desired.
- Finish with shine-enhancing hairspray.
#40: Boho Beauty with Curls
Show off your free spirit with this gorgeous, lightly curled hairstyle. For added glam, use your favorite headband. For a dry hairspray with tons of touchable hold, try Onesta’s Finish Hairspray. This boho and casual style will work for all face shapes.