Many of us enjoy coloring our hair and pay good money to achieve just the right hue. But what are you doing after the color treatment to protect your investment? There are a number of things you can do to to extend the life of your color it is just a matter of being diligent and thinking ahead. Try one or a few of these hair color conserving tips and we promise you will see results!
1. Give yourself an apple cider rinse after you color (before your first shampoo) to restore the pH of your hair.
2. Wash less often! Hold off as long as you can right after your color treatment then try to go at least two days between each washing from that point on. Dry shampoo is your best friend!
3. Stay out of sun! The suns rays are just has harmful to your hair as they can be to your skin. They are especially as damaging to your hair color. The rays can and will fade your color faster, so try and wear a hat or a scarf if you know you will be in the sun for a prolonged amount of time.
4. Use hair products that contain UV protecting properties on a daily basis, even when you aren’t going to be in the sun for an extended amount of time. Aveda’s Sun Care Protective Hair Veil was our best friend this summer and will continue to be this fall.
5. Use color conserving shampoos and conditioners. We especially like Redkin’s Color Extend line.
6. Every third wash, use a color dispensing or enhancing shampoo to preserve and boost your color. Aveda has a great line of color enriching and enhancing products for a wide range of hair colors.
7. We know summer is about over but if you are going to swim in chlorinated water, wear a swimming cap! Chlorine has a drying effect on hair and will fade your color quickly.
What color conserving techniques or products do you use?