It’s that time of year where clients start to stress and ask me about keeping their summer hair color from fading. Chlorine, sun and salt water can all fade your colored or highlighted hair. We all want to protect our investment! Here are some helpful and easy-to-follow tips to keep your color safe:
1. Wait 24 to 48 hrs before shampooing after a color service and try not to wash your hair every day following that initial wash. If you tend to get greasy at the roots, try using a hair powder.
2. Use a professional grade, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. These products are going to have the least harsh chemicals in them so they do not strip out your color. Additionally, try a color enhancing shampoo to brighten your color in between salon visits.
3. Try rinsing with cooler water. The heat from extremely hot water can fade your color, especially if your color is a particularly vibrant shade.
4. If you are going to be in the sun, wear a hat or bandana. This is especially important if you’re going to be in the sun for a long period of time. The direct rays from the sun will indeed fade your color and possibly change the tone.
5. When swimming in chlorine or salt water, leave a little conditioner or detangler with UV protectors in your hair. This will help prevent the chlorine or salt water from absorbing into your hair.
6. Be careful of using clarifying shampoos. They are great for washing your hair after swimming, but they WILL strip out your color. Use a clarifying shampoo once a week tops, not as an everyday shampoo.
7. Professional product lines now have heat protectors with UV sunscreens. Take advantage of these products and make the investment! These types of products will also help protect from thermal heat from blow dryers and irons. You use sunscreen on your face and body, why not your hair?
If you’re keeping up with all the tips and your color still fades, tell your stylist. He or she can recommend a clear gloss to put on after your color that will seal and lock in your new hair color, plus you get extra shine. So get out there and enjoy yourself this summer season, but be sure and protect your beauty investment with these tips!