It used to be that braided hairstyles were a great dirty hair day go-to or beach day hairstyle, but Selena Gomez makes this red carpet braid look positively glam. We spoke with Jason Dougherty, stylist at Butterfly Studio Salon in New York, who gave us the totally easy peasy way to recreate this look. It’s simpler than it looks!
How to Rock this Selena Gomez Hair Tutorial:
1. Start by smoothing the hair and adding a little moisture to ends with a good serum like Gold Lust by Oribe.
2. Add texture to the hair. Start with small sections and apply a texturizing spray to the roots, holding hair up as you spray.
3. To create the pompadour, start by sectioning off the very top portion of hair (mohawk section). Begin your part right above the end of the eyebrow on the hairline. Comb back to the crown and clip down the bottom portion. Repeat on the other side. Now, take one inch horizontal sections beginning at the hairline and backcomb them. Start at the root and work your way to the ends. This creates the texture and fullness of the pompadour.
4. Mix a pomade and an oil and warm in your hands. Apply generously to all the remaining hair. We recommend a cocktail of Shu Uemura’s Shape Paste with Oribe’s Gold Lust. Brush everything up very tight to create a high ponytail.
5. Braid the ponytail and anchor with an elastic, leaving the last two to three inches of hair out.
6. Lightly brush back the top hair to smooth out the pompadour. Secure it by wrapping the end around the base of the ponytail and pinning. Use a hair pin that matches the color of your hair.
7. Finish the look with a little hairspray to seal everything in. For this look, we recommend Oribe Superfine Hairspray. You can use a texture spray on the braid and then lightly rub it with your palms to muss it up and add texture. You can also lightly pull away on a few sections of the braid to open it a bit. Start soft and experiment with it until you find the finished look you love.
If you loved this Selena Gomez hair tutorial, then you’ll really love learning how to recreate her sassy ponytail too!