When Blake Lively ditched her signature blonde locks and showed up to the Time 100 Gala with fiery red hair, the world was shocked! She dyed her hair red for her role in the movie, Hick, and the result was another great look for a stunning screen siren. “Blake and I named this shade Fire Opal, after one of her favorite stones,” Lively’s longtime colorist Rona O’Connor told InStyle. “I would never have taken her red if I didn’t think we could go back to blonde without any damage”
Even if red isn’t your hue of the moment, you can still steal Blake Lively’s lust-worthy mermaid waves. We spoke with celebrity hair and makeup artist, Kerrie Urban, on how to get this look.
Get The Look:
1. Start with damp hair and spray in Bumble and bumble Thickening Spray from root to tip; be sure to comb it through your hair for even distribution.
2. Create a deep side part in your hair (whichever side suits you) and blow dry your hair with a large round brush for volume. (We recommend the Apollo 3 Round Hair Brush). Be sure to keep the part in place while drying!
3. Next, section hair off into one- to one-and-a-half-inch sections.
4. Using a one-inch barrel curling iron or curling wand, curl hair vertically. This means your curling iron will be straight up and down, parallel to your head. Be sure to curl away from the face and don’t start curling from the top of the head; instead, keep curls loose by starting lower and around the ears where Lively’s waves begin.
5. Once curling is complete, use Amika Oil Treatment (just two to three drops is enough) warmed on your hands and working from the bottom up, loosely pull the curls apart with your fingers.
6. To finish the look off, spray lightly with Osis Elastic Hairspray to keep your hair in place but still touchably soft.
Love this look? Check out even more Blake Lively hair tutorials here.