Hello everyone! It’s Melissa from My Soul Is The Sky and I am here to share a super simple tutorial for the ultimate perfect messy bun. A messy bun is the perfect hairstyle for days on the run and when the weather is hot. It’s quick and easy to throw together in a matter of minutes, not to mention it is a cute hairstyle and flattering on just about everyone. It works the best for medium to long hair, but this technique can be accommodated to every hair type!
How To Style:
1. Start by combing all the hair up into a high ponytail just behind the crown.
2. Take your favorite elastic and pull the hair through it once.
3. Twist the elastic and spread all the hair forwards toward the forehead.
4. Spread the hair out into a donut shape around the elastic.
5. With the elastic twisted once, wrap it over the top of the donut shape.
6. Gently pull on the bun to tighten the elastic band and increase the size of the bun.
7. Spread the pieces that are sticking out from under the elastic band so they lay strategically on the head.
8. Pull pieces loose from the “donut” to make it a bit messier.
9. Pin down any parts of the bun that seem uneven or pieces that are too long and have come loose.
10. Spritz with some flexible hairspray and it’s done!
Watch The Video:
Start with hair that hasn’t been washed in a day or two. Hair that has a little bit of natural oil in it helps hold its shape when in an updo. If your hair is naturally very straight, spritz damp hair with salt spray and a dollop of gel to add some texture to it. This will also give the elastic a bit of grip when it’s in the elastic. If your hair is wavy or curly, let the natural texture take over and your bun will be bigger and more easily “messy” with the added volume that it offers.
I hope you’ve found our messy bun tutorial helpful! For even more hair and beauty fun, visit me at My Soul Is The Sky.