Hello everyone! My name is Jenny Strebe from Confessions of a Hairstylist and I am here to show you how to use a curling wand. Now, there are literally TONS of curling wands on the market today. I am using a 1 and 1/4-inch curling wand by Hot Tools in today’s tutorial, but keep in mind you can also use a regular curling iron as a wand by simply not using the clamp. Let’s get started!
How to Use a Curling Wand:
1. Start by sectioning your hair off from ear to ear. Clip the top section up using a hair clip so you can work on the back of your hair first.
2. Pointing the curling wand downward (super important!), simply wrap one to two-inch sections of hair around the wand at a time. Hold each section around the wand (taking care not to burn your fingers!) for only a few seconds, then release.
TIP: If your hair is resistant to curl, spray a medium hold hairspray on each section before curling.
3. Once you have curled all of the back bottom section, release the hair you have clipped up and section it in half once again, clipping a section up and away. Curl the section left down the same as you did the first section, taking extra care to curl the pieces around your face AWAY from your face.
TIP: Wrap larger sections if you want more of a wavy feel, or take smaller sections if you want a tighter curl.
4. Drop your last section of hair, and continue to wrap these sections away from the face.
TIP: If a beachy wave is what you crave, curl each section from about mid-shaft down and wrap only a few times, leaving an inch or two out on the ends. Basically you want to keep your roots and your ends off of the wand.
5. Once your entire head is curled, lightly brush your hair out with your fingers. This will loosen up the wave a little bit.
6. Finish the look with a soft to medium hold hairspray of your choice.
Watch The Video:
I hope you enjoyed this simple tutorial on how to use a curling wand! For even more fab tutorials and hair tips, please subscribe to my YouTube channel.