Hello! This is Ariba from MillennialMama.ca and I am so pumped to share my go-to style this season. I took an everyday ponytail and added a simple braid to completely transform the look.
This look combines a French fishtail with a more traditional braid (I call it the fishtail braid), making it super versatile and easy to play around with, depending on your style. For a more polished look, I smooth out the sides for a sleeker, refined finish. In this tutorial, I went with a more laid-back, messy look, by working with my flyaways – instead of concealing them!
The Fishtail Ponytail Tutorial:
1. Take a small section of hair from your hairline and split it into two equal halves. Cross the right section of hair over the left.
2. Take a new piece of hair from the left and cross it over to the right. Continue incorporating new pieces of hair and crossing them over in alternating sections until you reach the back of the crown.
3. Secure the braid with a bobby pin.
4. Gather the remaining hair in a ponytail and tie it off with an elastic band.
5. Take a small piece of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the band to hide the elastic. Secure it with bobby pins.
6. Split the ponytail into two equal sections to start the fishtail braid.
7. Take a small strand from the left section and cross it over to the right section.
8. Now take a small strand from the right section and cross it over to the left. Continue this pattern until you reach the end of the ponytail
9. Tie it off with elastic band. Gently pull each stitch and spread it to create fullness.
10. Spray a firm hold hairspray to finish off the look.