If you’re looking for statement hair, search no further than this super voluminous blowout, inspired by Taylor Swift’s coiffure at the 41st annual American Music Awards. And nope — you do not have to schedule an expensive appointment at the salon to accomplish this luscious head o’ hair. All you need is your blow dryer, a few round brushes and a little patience.
Hairstylist Cathleen Sniffen, stylist at the Indulgence Blow Dry and Specialty Salon in Mt. Kisco, New York, says this look is especially perfect for anyone who wants to make their hair look thicker. She recommends starting with a thickening or volumizing shampoo and conditioner to add extra oomph. Do keep the conditioner away from you roots, though, as this can weigh them down.
How to Recreate This Voluminous Taylor Swift Hair:
1. Comb out your hair with a wide tooth comb to get all the knots out. Work a thickening agent or volumizing product into your damp hair to add body. Try Moroccon Oil Root Boost, which nourishes the hair and scalp, fortifies and thickens at the root and helps control fly aways.
2. “Begin pre-drying hair by running your fingers through your hair while aiming the nozzle of your blow dryer upward,” said Sniffen. She explains that the “pre-drying” process cuts down on your blowout time. She also notes that pointing the nozzle upward creates more volume.
3. Clip the top sections of your damp hair to your head and start blow drying small sections. For this process, Sniffen says to blow dry one section of hair at a time. After your hair is completely dry, bring a round bristle brush to the end of your hair, gently wrap hair around the brush and let it set with the brush in it. “This will allow it to cool down in that form to produce volume,” she noted.
4. Repeat until all your hair is set in brushes. If you do not have several round brushes to work with, you can use pin curl clips or bobby pins to hold the hair in a loop.
5. Give your hair one more blast of cool hair to make sure it’s completely dry. Then remove all your brushes and bobby pins.
6. Comb your fingers through your hair to loosen the curls a bit, then style as desired. Finish the look with a flexible hold hairspray and shine serum. Sniffen recommends Moroccan Oil Luminous Hairspray, which is infused with Argan Oil and provides a long-lasting, flexible hold.
If you enjoyed this Taylor Swift hair tutorial, you’ll love learning how to recreate her signature curls, too!