“The key to achieving the movement and softness of Reese’s look is starting with freshly washed hair,” says celebrity stylist Allen Ruiz, who just earned 2013 North American Hairstylist of The Year honors.
Get Reese’s Easy Breezy Look:
1. “Begin with a smoothing shampoo and conditioner like Aveda Smooth Infusion to moisturize and soften. It’s important to use a lightweight hair care system, so as not to already start with your hair being over-conditioned, weighed-down and heavy.”
2. Next, gently pat and “squeeze” hair dry to remove excess moisture. Make sure not to “rub” hair dry with your towel, which can cause frizz. You want to remove all excess moisture from hair so that it does not dilute your styling product, which can happen if you apply your styling product directly to wet hair.
If you have a finer to medium hair texture, you want to use a lightweight product like Aveda Smooth Infusion Style Prep prior to blow drying. Take a small amount and emulsify it in your hands prior to applying evenly through damp hair. Even application, from roots to ends, is key. Many people just slap their product on top of their hair, which causes the hair to look greasy and weighed down and leaves ends looking dry. If you have a thicker, courser hair texture, you’ll want to use a product that’s got some more weight and hold to it for control. Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Serum works very well on this texture.
3. The effort you put into your blow dry is critical to pulling this look off. You can’t simply dry your hair, you need to work section by section, ensuring each section is 100% dry prior to moving on. You need a blow dryer with a nozzle attachment and a flat bristle brush like a Mason Pearson. For best results, make sure your nozzle attachment is pointed down and blowing heat directly on the hair shaft. Blow dry hair from roots to ends, chasing your brush closely with the nozzle of your dryer. When you get to the bangs, make sure to dry in the direction you want them to lay. Reese is wearing a dramatic part, so you’ll want to make sure you establish this with your blow dry. Once hair is completely dry, remove the nozzle attachment and use the cool shot button on your dryer to rough dry your hair, only using your hands. This will help close the cuticle and set your smooth style.
4. Next, using a small to medium sized flat iron on a high heat setting, work section by section (Allen recommends sections be a maximum of 1” in width) to smooth the hair from roots to ends. Make sure as you get to the end of your section that you’re ironing straight down and then out to create the slight bend and flip that Reese has. Continue this technique until all sections of hair have been ironed.
5. The finish of Reese’s style is very natural and smooth. To achieve this, you need to use a very lightweight finishing product. It also needs to be dry so that you don’t create any kink or wave in the hair with moisture after working so hard to get it smooth. Lightly mist a dry-delivery, flexible hold aerosol hairspray, holding the can 10-12 inches from the hair to ensure the spray lightly lands on the hair. Next, run your fingers through your ends to break them up and accentuate the ‘flip’ and ‘bend’ you created with your flat iron. Lastly, lightly mist the parting of your bangs and use clean hands to smooth and further accentuate it. Once you have your look exactly how you want it, set it with a final misting of hairspray.
Voilà! Now you can go rock one of our favorite Reese Witherspoon hairstyles with confidence! Learn how to recreate her flirty red carpet waves here.