To achieve this classic style a la Queen Bey, start with freshly washed hair, says Stephanie Scuoppo of The Salon and Spa at Saks Fifth Avenue in New York City. Day old hair, although somewhat easier to work with, with can appear, well, a day old! It is better to start clean and use the suggested product combinations recommended here.
To style, you’ll need one row of clip-in extensions if your natural hair is not long or thick enough. Beyoncé has lots of hair and the more hair, the easier it is to create this style. Scuoppo says if your hair has some texture like Bey’s, use a smoothing cream for control like Kerastase Keratin Thermique and a round brush. If your hair is straight, add a volumizer such as Kerastase Densifique. The hair should be bouncy and smooth to begin with!
1. If you are using hair extensions, add them in first. Apply them at the back of you hair at approximately ear level. Before clipping in, lightly tease your hair at the roots and spray to insure a secure placement.
2. Part hair in the center or to the side and gather it into a ponytail at the nape using a flat brush for ease and control. Stephanie recommends spraying hairspray onto brush as you do this to smooth, help eliminate flyaways, and to ensure the spray is evenly distributed throughout.
3. Lightly wave the hair in the ponytail using a curling iron. This will give additional hold and texture if needed.
4. Divide the ponytail into two sections creating an upper and lower section. Clip the top piece out of the way using bobby pins.
5. Lightly tease the bottom section for volume and hold. Smooth the section gently with your fingers or a brush, give a light mist of Kerastase hairspray, then create a bun or chignon and secure with bobby pins.
6. Take the top section and divide it vertically into two sections — one left and one right. Spray each section lightly and begin twisting each section until the hair coils into itself, then pin and arrange the coils on top of the chignon. Secure with bobby pins.
7. Use a hand mirror to check back of hair for balance and placement. This step is often overlooked, but very important!
8. Give the entire look another mist of hairspray and you’re red carpet ready!
If you loved recreating this elegant Beyonce updo, then you’ll love recreating her sleek and sexy style too!