It’s no secret that braids are hot this summer (we’ve even got a full page of braided hairstyles you can check out here!), so when Blake Lively stepped out in this high fishtail braid to the New York Premiere of “Savages”, we swooned. Like, seriously swooned.
Gone are the days where braids hid dirty hair or were used to tame after-beach tresses, braids are totally chic! So we got down to business and spoke with celebrity hairstylist, Harry Josh (whose hands have touched the coifs of A-listers like Amanda Seyfried, Gisele Bundchen, Gwyneth Paltrow and more) to tell us how to style this gorgeous fishtail braid.
Get the Look: Blake’s High Fishtail Side Braid
1. Apply a heat-protection, frizz-fighting serum, like John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Thermal Protection Formula to wet hair.
2. Concentrating on small sections of hair at a time, blowdry hair straight with a boar bristle brush and an ionic blowdryer, like Harry Josh Pro Tools Dryer 2000 ($300 at HairEnvy.com), to give hair a frizz- and static-free blow dry.
3. Begin by gathering all of the hair high on one side of the head, then divide it into two equal parts.
4. Take a small piece of hair (around ½ inch wide) from the first section and add it into the second section.
5. Continue by taking the same size piece as before from the second section and adding it to the first section
6. Repeat this step three to four times before pulling the two sides tight to reveal a fishtail pattern.
7. Continue swapping pieces between sections until you no longer have enough hair to continue weaving back and forth.
8. Secure the ends with a small elastic.
9. Finish by spritzing with hair spray to hold, such as the John Frieda Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Firm Hold Hairspray and double check the back of your hair with our favorite Satina handheld mirror.
Learn how to recreate another one of our favorite Blake Lively hairstyles (her luscious mermaid waves) here.